How to login to your Gmail account, how to register an email account, and what to do if you have lost Gmail your password or Username.
If there’s an email service that doesn’t an introduction, it has to be Gmail. Owned by the mighty Google, Gmail is undisputedly the most popular email service in the world.
Based in US, Gmail boasts of a massive user base of well over one billion users across the world. It was also the first app to hit one billion downloads on Google Play Store. These facts speak volumes about the popularity of this email service.
Coming to the technical side of things, Gmail offered free storage of up to 1 GB to users when it was launched in April 2004. At that time, most, if not all of the other email providers, didn’t even come close to Gmail’s free storage capacity. As of now, however, Gmail offers a staggering 15 GB of free storage capacity to all its users. Needless to say, these are some of the reasons why Gmail enjoys such a dominating position in the email industry.
What is Gmail?
Well, although we have discussed quite a bit about Gmail and what it has to offer as an email service, let us get a bit more specific now. Technically speaking, Gmail is a free email service that earns its revenue through advertising.
It can be accessed through both the web and a device running Android or iOS, as Gmail is available as an app on both these platforms. Similarly, it’s also accessible through third-party platforms such as IMAP and POP.
How do I create a Gmail account?
Here’s a step by step process to create an account on Gmail.
- Hit up Gmail.com using a browser on your desktop computer.
- If you haven’t actively been using Gmail on the device you’re accessing it from, you will see a “Create an account” option at the top right; you need to click on that
- The sign up page will open in a new tab, and you need to enter all the details it asks for, including your preferred username and password
- If your username has already been taken by someone else, you will get a message saying so right beside the username box, and you will be required to choose another username
- You will also be offered some suggestions related to your chosen username that was not available, and you can pick one of them too
- After you’re done filling out all the details, you need to click on the “Next step” option at the end of the page
- A small page would pop up describing the privacy and terms of Gmail, and you need to click on the “I Agree” option at the end to proceed
- Depending on your country of residence, you may have to verify your mobile number either through an SMS or voice message
- You can also provide a secondary email during the registration process
- Once you’re done with that, you can choose a security question that can help you recover your account if you forget the password or end up encountering some other issues
- Finally, you will need to solve a captcha and you will be ready to roll
How do I log in to Gmail?
To login to your Gmail account, follow the simple steps outlined below.
- Go to gmail.com using your browser or simply click here
- Put your email or phone number and click “Next”
- Then enter the password on the next page, and click “Next” again
- If you have entered your credentials correctly, you will be able to login to your account and view, manage and reply to your emails
As far as using Gmail on your smartphone is concerned, you need to follow the steps below in the same order as they are mentioned.
- Downloading the Gmail app from Google Play Store or Apple’s App Store, depending on the platform your phone is running
- Launching the app on which it will ask you for your account details
- Entering your account details and logging in to your account
- You will now be able to use the app to access your emails without having to login every time; you just need to fire up the app and simply drag below and it will refresh your emails
- For adding another account, you need to click on the menu bar option at the top left in the app
- Then scroll to the bottom and click on “Settings”
- You will find an option “Add account,” click on it and you will be able to add another email account, not only a Gmail account but even accounts from other email providers
Troubleshooting – Why you may have problems logging in to Gmail?
One of the most common reasons users don’t manage to login to their Gmail account is simply putting wrong username or password. Of course you can just click the back button if that’s the case and re-enter the details.
Other common issue is forgetting either the username or password, or even both. We will be getting to how to resolve this issue in the below section.
In some rare cases, there may be a hacking attempt or some other suspicious activity on your account, which may lead to your account may get locked for security purpose. In such a case, you need to verify the account belongs to you through mobile verification or by answering the security question, depending on what you’re asked to do when trying to login to your account.
Once you manage to verify your account, you will also need to change your password, after which you will be able to use your account normally.
What to do if you have forgotten your Gmail account’s password or username?
If you have forgotten your username, you need to click on the “Forgot email?” option on the login page here. It will ask you to enter either your recovery email or phone number; enter it and click “Next.” You will now be asked to enter your first and last name.
You will then be sent a one time verification code to your recovery email or phone number, which you will need to enter to recover your username.
Now coming to recovering a password, here’s what you need to do.
- Click on “Forgot password?” on the login page
- Enter your email address associated with the account you’re trying to recover the password of
- Enter your recovery email or phone number as requested
- You may also be asked to answer your security question that you had set while creating the account
- You will be sent a 6-digit code to your recovery email or phone number, that you need to enter next
- You will then be able to set a new password